Tuesday, September 15, 2009

"Showerheads Loaded With Bacteria, Could Be Harmful"

Every day, whether at home or far away, Ray clicks on the little link on his web browser that says "News" with all of the RSS feeds. Yesterday, I actually got to be part of that link.

And I have to point out, although he's not getting the attention (although CBS almost used him for "man on the street"), Ray took some of the shower head samples, and he is named in the acknowledgements of the study.

Hopefully the dust is settling. I'm home sick, for the sake of my coworkers (both Ray and I are kind of pathetic)... my coauthor ran away from the lab. Norm is left alone with the phones, although I'm still taking calls at home. Our press guy at the University is trying to decide between running away to Vegas and just taking a job running a forklift at Home Depot. It has been fun, but literally exhausting!

For the most part, the press didn't go overboard with the scare factor, although if you want to know where the crazies live, you can check out some of the comments online. The various uses of Psycho  references have been amusing, although I'm waiting for the story from The Economist - the columnist was very witty. Anyway.. the press blitz is continuing, but here's the highlights. Ray would like to point out that that is our showerhead in the videos (the horrid, low-flow one that we just replaced in the guest bathroom).

Denver Fox (I got airtime!)

CBS Denver (pipetting AND colored liquids - WHEE)

CBS Early Morning Show (National - Leah did the pipetting on this one) (and don't get me started on Norm in a lab coat, showing how we sampled, without gloves)

I did a radio interview for New Zealand radio last night. When I was really stuffed up and out of it. Hence phrases like "preganacy doesn't last that long". Eek. I'm sure that got some poor pregnant woman riled up.

The AP did one of the better write ups.

I'll link other highlights if I find them. In the meantime, if you google "showerhead" and click the first news link, you'll get way more than you want (currently 492 articles dereplicated to 176).

No comments:

Post a Comment